Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pre-LASIK evaluation

this morning went to LSC for pre-LASIK evaluation. Went there around 10am. A lot of people there leh. seriously, i think the doctors there earn big bucks leh. Especially Dr. Marc Tay, since most of the patients here are his.

Anyway after almost 5 hours before I see Dr Tay with my evaluation results. Why? Because for some reason, I got to go to another clinic at Lucky Plaza to do the eye wavescan again. Think I heard from one of the staff, the machine at LSC nt working very well.

Anyway, about half to 1 hour was spent at the Lucky Plaza's Asia Health Clinic or something liddat. Then back to LSC, waited another half an hour. Goodness me, almost 3pm then I get to see Dr Tay. Then here comes 2 bad news.

Dr Tay first examine my eyes then go on to say that I can do LASIK but

1. My eyes are too flat. Using the bladed (Microkeratome) method is not very safe as the flap created may not be good enough. So he advised me to do Intralase which is using laser to create the flaps. Adv: Can create nice and good flaps for me. Disadv: Expensive.

2. My left eye asti is actually 275 instead of 100. I was been misled that my asti was not as high. (I am still wondering why my spect shop at Chong Pang gave me a 100 asti contact lens instead of 275 for my left eye). So he advised me to do WaveFront. Adv: Can laser high asti eyes. Disadv: Expensive.

Anyway I stared at him for a while. He asked me if I have any more questions for him. I just stoned there for a few seconds. All I have in my head is $$$$$. My hope of S$2.3K for the whole LASIK vanished before my eyes. Actually I should asked him more about Intralase and WaveFront, but before I knew it, I sitting before the counter staff talking about the prices and everything already.

Intralase with WaveFront for 2 eyes: 4k.
Intralase with Standard for 2 eyes: 2.8k.

But I could not make up my mind. I was quite lost. I worried that if I do standard for my left eye, i might end up with some asti remaining. Do wavefront will cost a bomb.

After stoning, staring blankly at the staff and my colleague and at the calculator for a few times, still no decision.

The thought of not doing at all even cross my mind. Damn vexed I was feeling at that moment. Then the counter staff said I could pay a deposit first, then later before the surgery then decide what I want. I agreed without thinking.

Went for lunch 1st. 3+pm already leh. Went to Wisma Astra Food Republic. While eating, I called and smsed friends and colleagues who did LASIK at LSC for their opinions. Suddenly I remembered Dr Tay did say I could do wavefront for left and std for right. I called LSC immediately and asked for the price. 3.3k. Hmmm....... At least cheaper than 4k.

My right eye asti is 100+ only, so can do std.

Anyway, my colleague and I went to watch Iron Man at Lido, since there still some time before the surgery. Our appointment was at 7pm.

Quite a nice movie I thought. At least it managed to ease off some of the "vex-ity" that I was having just now. Ok, then I finally make up my mind. Intralase Std & WF 3.3k.

No comments: