Saturday, June 03, 2006

Wireless disappointment

Due my stupid brother who use my desktop pc all the time, so I have been using my laptop all these times. My laptop is the old type of centrino laptops that uses the 802.11b wireless interface. As my room is quite far from the wireless broadband router which is in the living room, my wireless signal is always very low to good. Although the reception is not really bad, I want it to be better. So yesterday I bought a new wireless card: Dlink DWL-G650 802.11g/2.4Ghz Wireless Cardbus Adapter. The expected result is suppose to be quite good, because the router that I am using is also Dlink. Both using Dlink's Air Plus+ technology.

But actual differs quite a lot from my expectations especially since I have spent quite a bit of money on it. (previously I bought a wireless antenna to booast the signal).

Well, I discover that the problem is because of my room. My laptop is deep in the room, a few metres from the corridor of my main hall. Although wireless signals bounce against walls, but nothing beats have the wireless router in line of sight. The signal strength is almost 100%, a good 98%. So conclusion is: the problem lies with the location of my laptop.

Well nvr mind. ANyway, yesterday bought Jolin's latest album - Dancing Diva. First few songs are not bad. Still listening to it at this moment of time though. Not too bad lah, since I bought it off a stall along bugis street for only 7 bucks. Normal retail stores sell them at 19bucks? Quite a good deal I got anyway, and it looks completely original, just that I think it's imported from china or somewhere else.



Oh, did I mention that I took leave yesterday? That's why I got the time to go some shopping at Sim Lim. Yesterday also help Johnson's gf Edina to fix up a pc. Guess what, only 1.2k bucks only leh. Here roughly the specs- P4 3Ghz cpu, 512 DDR2 RAM, 160Gb hdd, dvd-writer, 1.44 floppy drv, 256mb ddr2 radeon (dunno wad model, forgot), a pair of normal speakers and lastly a Phillips 17" LCD. The LCD only 320 bucks leh. Wow. All specs not too bad right and only for 1.2k. Its soooo cheap. But I dun have space for another pc in my room lah, if not i might consider buying one set of myself also hehe.....

No comments: